The Kamilaroi Highway south-east of Narrabri is undergoing significant safety upgrades as part of a $22 million investment by the NSW Government. Part of the Saving Lives on Country Roads Initiative, the works include installing rumble strips, centre barriers, removing roadside hazards and widening the road.
RMS has incorporated a 2.5m sealed shoulder into the design to allow vehicles carrying wide and heavy loads to pull over.
Safety measures incorporated into the project include:
• Wide centreline and flexible centre wire rope barrier to reduce the likelihood of head on crashes
• Designated bus turning bay to improve safety for school children and other travellers
• Addition of dual overtaking lanes
• 5m wide sealed shoulder providing more room for vehicles to recover whilst remaining on a sealed surface
• Rumble strips on centre and outside lines to reduce the likelihood of head on crashes and run off road crashes
• Widened clear zone on roadside to improve visibility and reduce run off road into an object crashes
• Raised retroflective pavement markers to improve delineation
JNC Group’s engagement
The Kamilaroi Safety Upgrade is being carried out in 4 sections. JNC Group’s current engagement specific to Stage 2 and includes traffic control, sediment and erosion control, site clearing, demolition, earthworks, pavement, asphalt, kerb and guttering, linemarking and signposting and trench drains.
The project requires RMS prequalification.
Photo: Road widening works. Photograph courtesy Transport for NSW.
• Location: Gunnedah, NSW
• Client: Terra Firma
• Contract date: November 2020
• Key services provided: Project Management, Site Management
February 23, 2016